Saturday 24 May 2008

Tearful Day-Lewis pays tribute to Ledger

Daniel Day-Lewis paid an emotional tribute to late actor Heath Ledger during an appearance on the 'Oprah Winfrey Show' yesterday.
The actor's eyes filled with tears as he spoke, via satellite, of his regret on learning of Ledger's sudden death on Tuesday.
Day-Lewis, who was on the show to discuss his Oscar nomination for 'There Will Be blood', said he felt "strange" talking about anything else.
"There isn't anything to say other than to express one's regret to his family and his friends and to say from the bottom of one's heart...that I'm sorry for their trouble."
The actor continued: "I didn't know him. I have a strong impression I would have liked him very much, as a person, if I had."
He added: "I had already marvelled at some of his work. And looked forward to the work he would do in the future."
Day-Lewis prayed Ledger's loved ones would be left alone to grieve, saying: "This is going to be something they are going to be living with for the rest of their lives."